Reggio Calabria Wireless
History
How to arrive
TUE 19
N.d.
MON 18
N.d.
SUN 17
N.d.
The city
History

Reggio (Rhegion) was founded towards the mid 8 century BC by  the Chalcis. In '89 BC it became a Roman municipality. In the 4th century AD it became the residence of the governor of Lucania and of Bruzio. In 61 AD Saint Paul, during one of his journeys, visited Reggio.
Reggio was ransacked by the Visigoths in 410 and then laid under siege by the Ostrogoths in 549.
For more than five centuries it remained under the dominium of the Byzantines. From the 9th century, Reggio suffered repeated invasions by the Arabs of Sicily. In 1060 Reggio was taken by the Normans led by Robert Guiscard; and the first archbishop was established. In 1267 it was under Angioini rule.

In 1433 the Aragon King Alfonso il Magnanimo conquered Reggio. In 1502 Gran Capitano Consalvo di Cordova was given power by the then king of Spain, Ferdinand the Catholic.
It was in 1543 that the Turk Khayr al-Din organized a raid on Reggio and then in 1594 another at the hands of Scipione Sinan Cicala. Passing under Bourbon rule during 700s allowed economic recovery.
Two tragic events feature in the history of Reggio during this period: the plague epidemic of 1743 and the earthquake of 1783 which caused huge damage and had to be rebuild as a consequence under the design of Mori.
Under the governance of Gioacchino Murat the first city  secondary school was founded along with numerous city projects. In 1814 Reggio returned under Bourbon control.
On the 2nd of September 1847 an anti-bourbon revolt took place but the government’s reaction was decisive: Domenico Romeo died and others such as Paolo Pellicano, Agostino and Antonino Plutino were exiled.

On the 21st of August 1860 Reggio was taken by Garibaldi’s troops. On the 28th of December 1908 Reggio was devastated by a huge earthquake followed by a tidal wave.
The slow and difficult period of reconstruction which followed was managed by engineer Pietro De Nava and the then Mayor of the city Giuseppe Valentino from 1918 to 1923.
Under the fascist government “Grande Reggio” was created which brought together 14 local councils into one under the direction of Giuseppe Genoese-Zerbi. During the Second World War the city was continuously bombarded until such time as the Allied troops entered the city. The first mayor was Priolo. On the 2nd of June 1946 Reggio returned the majority consensus for the Christian Democrats. From July 1970 to September 1971 there were many protests against the move of the regional capital from Reggio to Catanzaro.  From the 1960s onwards a move towards immigration to the north of Italy was evident which lasted throughout the 1970s.
In the 1980s the city passed a very difficult period which caused serious damage to the social fabric of the city during the mafia wars.  Hundreds of people died and judicial investigations were launched which included also the local administration.
 

Rapid Access
Sondaggio
When you think of visiting this city?
Sign-up for the newsletter Name:    Email:    Newsletter for:    Sign-up