The Civic Art Gallery houses a unique collection of artwork, mostly paintings, owned by the Municipality of Reggio Calabria. The older works (I group: 15th -19th century) originate from the collections of the former Civic Museum, founded in 1882 and closed in 1948. The more modern works (II group – 20th century) come from purchases and donations.
The most valuable pieces from the collections of the former museum are undoubtedly the two wooden tablets “San Girolamo penitente” (St. Jerome penitent) and “Tre Angeli in Visita ad Abramo” (Three Angels Visiting Abraham) painted by Antonello Da Messina around 1460 and purchased by the Municipality of Reggio Calabria in 1890 from Giovanbattista Rota, descendant of a noble family from Reggio. However, “Il ritorno del figliol prodigo” (Return of the Prodigal Son) by Mattia Preti and “La battaglia di Capua” (Battle of Capua) by Andrea Cefaly stand out as being of significant importance.
In the second group, there are many works by Calabrian artists including the nineteenth century landscapes by Ignazio Lavagna Fieschi and his pupil Giuseppe Benassai, sculptures by Francesco Jerace and twentieth century paintings by Rubens Santoro, Francesco Raffaele, Antonio Cannata, Enzo Benedetto and sculptures by Pasquale Panetta and Saverio Gatto. Other artists represented are Giovanni Omiccioli, Giampiero Restellini and Renato Guttuso. Guttuso’s ink drawing on paper “Pescatore di Scilla” (Fisherman of Scilla) was included in the Biennale Calabrese in 1949.
The Civic Art Gallery is housed in these premises on the first floor of the Theatre “F. Cilea” built between 1920 and 1931 by Domenico De Simone and Carlo Laviny. The renovation was designed by the architect Fabio Mariano and took place between 2006 and 2008. Of particular importance is the central hall which as been painted with faux marble decorations on the walls. With stucco decorations and gold borders it is enhanced by three beautiful chandeliers in murano glass.
Information and Contacts
- e-mail: email@example.com
- pec: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel. 0965 324822
- Fax: 0965 324262
- Closed Mondays.
- From Tuesday to Sunday, 9:00am to 1:30pm / 2:30pm to 7:00pm (last entry at 6:40pm)
Closed for National holidays: 1st - 6th January / 23rd - 25th April / 1st May / 2nd June / 15th August / 1st November / 8th, 25th, 26th December.
ACCESS HELP FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES AND PEOPLE WITH REDUCED MOBILITY
- Access from Via Osanna no 6;
- toilet on the ground floor;
- lift access to the first floor.
GUIDED TOURS AND EDUCATION ACTIVITIES
The guided tour lasts about three quarters of an hour and is intended for groups of maximum 25-30 people; between one group and another it is necessary to wait about 20-30 minutes. To book the guided tour, it is necessary to book by phone at 0965/324822-0965/324262 (referrals of Dr. Miceli or Dr. Basile) and then send the confirmation via email to: email@example.com