Named after one of the greatest scholars or Southern Italian and Calabrian culture that was set up in a former brewery in the 1930s, Palazzo della Cultura Pasquino Crupi has been hosting a permanent collection signed by the greatest masters of the 20th century since May 2016. Among the works exhibited here are also those seized from the well-known Reggio entrepreneur Gioacchino Campolo. The palace is also home to prestigious exhibitions and events that make it a cultural reference point for the entire region.
An invaluable collection
Threefloors, with rooms named after famous figures in Reggio Calabria, hold hundreds of preserved works of art, including masterpieces of the great painters of the 20th century, such as De Chirico, Dali, Campigli, Carrà, Ligabue, Cascella, Fontana, as well as 17th century paintings and a beautiful seismic map made in 1784. Additionally, there are spaces reserved for young talents, a library with texts dating back to the 18th and 19th centuries from the private collection of Senator Guglielmo Calarco. The Calarco collection also includes paintings by 20th century artists such as Bava, Fabon, Marino and others, especially from Calabrian schools and movements.
At its inauguration, some Greco-Roman artefacts from private collections were donated by the Piccolo Museo San Paolo to the Town Art Gallery of the Cultural Centre of Pasqualino Crupi.
DID YOU KNOW THAT?
The building that houses the Cultural Centre was damaged by bombing in 1943; after being renovated, it became the Faculty of Engineering of Reggio Calabria.
San Paolo Museum
The ground floor hosts the Piccolo Museo San Paolo, which boasts a prestigious collection of icons of various origins dating back to the period between the 14th - 20th centuries, in addition to the paintings attributed to Antonello di Saliba (an exponent of the school of Antonello da Messina), Antonino Cilea, Giovanni Bellini, Guido Reni, Lorenzo Lotto, and a sketch depicting Moses, attributed to Raphael.
Moreover, the Museum has a prestigious collection of silverwork and works of art from Naples and Sicily, dating back to the 17th and the 18th centuries: in particular, it owns valuable pieces of religious art, such as a reliquary casket depicting aediculae of the Crucifixion and Saints; there is also a silver monstrance forged by Filippo Juvarra in 1770, and an ivory casket bearing the effigy of Santa Rosalia from the 17th century.
Opening days and hours
From Tuesday to Sunday
9.30-13.00 / 15:30-18:00
From 19 to 64 years old: € 2,00
Tel.(+39) 0965 890623
Mob.(+39) 329 0288865