Museums and Installations
The Historic, Artistic and Cultural Heritage of Reggio
The truth wealth of Reggio Calabria lies is in its artistic and cultural heritage formed over 1000 years of history. Archaeological artefacts, works of art of every kind, religious culture and traditions all contribute to an immense heritage among the most prestigious in Europe. These treasures are housed in the various museums of the region and constitute a memory to be protected and promoted as a means of communicating and understanding the identity of this corner of Calabria.
Art lives at MuSaBa
Hidden at the foot of the Aspromonte, the MuSaBa di Mammola is a museum park filled with contemporary art that is developed around the remains of an ancient 10th century monastic complex. Its unprecedented mix of ancient and modern art draws visitors into an immersive and sometimes surreal encounter [...]
Corrado Alvaro: the man is strong
Corrado Alvaro, born in San Luca (RC) on 15 April 1895, is a major Italian author. Reggio’s library has dedicated to him an entire room which conserves the furnishings, carpets, books, paintings and desk of the beta, donated by his wife Laura and his son Massimo.
Piccolo Museo San Paolo
The Piccolo Museo San Paolo is located in the upper area of Reggio Calabria. It was founded in the 1970s by Francesco Gangemi, a parish priest at San Paolo della Rotonda. He was a cultured priest and a fine collector of works of art. He was a great connoisseur of ancient Greek and Latin, who tenacio [...]
The Archaeological Museum of Reggio Calabria
The history of the Museum of Reggio Calabria was born of the disastrous earthquake of 1908 that struck the cities of Reggio and Messina. From the rubble of a still devastated city came important finds of its Greek-Roman history. The earthquake severely damaged the Museum, but it was reopened in 1882 [...]
The Diocesan Museum
The Diocesan Museum of Reggio Calabria contains important historical and religious works and is located on the ground floor of the late 18th century wing of the Archbishop’s Palace, which was built on the ruins of an existing building next to the Cathedral at the end of the 16th century.